Back to Home
Road Rage News |
|   2  |   3  |   4  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  | 9 | 10 

1997    1998    1999    2000    2001    2002    2003    2004    2005  2006   2007


Ex-cop jailed in
road rage case

Associated Press

WAILUKU -- A retired Maui police officer has been sentenced to five years in prison for endangering the lives of eight tourists in a road rage case three years ago.

Leland Scott Jr., 54, of Lahaina, pleaded no contest to two reduced charges of second-degree criminal property damage.

Deputy Prosecutor Glenn Pesenhofer said Scott's Ford Bronco bumped the back of a van carrying six visitors from Pennsylvania on the Hana Highway on June 28, 2000.

After the van pulled to the side of the road, Scott passed it and then intentionally rammed the back of a convertible carrying a honeymooning couple from Delaware 15 times, Pesenhofer said.

Scott admitted that his actions were "impaired and inappropriate." But he told Circuit Judge Joseph Cardoza on Wednesday that he was just trying to pass the vehicles and that the incidents were "extremely overexaggerated."

Defense attorney Steven Songstad said Scott had been taking a prescription painkiller for a neck injury he received while serving as a police officer.

He also described Scott's actions as "an anomaly, an aberration," and said Scott had written letters of apology to the victims.

But Cardoza said he had trouble agreeing with Scott's description of the events, citing statements from witnesses that they had tried to let Scott's vehicle pass.

"You don't get people to pull off the side of the road by hitting them from behind," Cardoza said.


Original article found here:

MAN jailed; officers cite road rage


By JOE ATKINSON, Courier & Press staff
September 13, 2003

EVANSVILLE -- A Benton, Ky., man went to jail Friday evening after allegedly directing road rage at an undercover Indiana State Police officer.

Richard A. Burnham, 41, was driving his 2003 International semi-tractor south on U.S. 41 around 3:20 p.m., when he merged into the left lane behind a Chevrolet Silverado pickup. Soon after, the Silverado slowed to let a Ford Ranger pickup merge in front of him, allegedly angering Burnham.

As the three vehicles approached the stop light at Mount Pleasant Road, Burnham allegedly rammed his semi into the back of the Silverado, then got out of the semi at the red light.

"At this point, we don't know exactly what sparked his behavior," said Indiana State Police Sgt. Todd Ringle. "There was no type of interaction between the two drivers prior to Burnham ramming the rear of the (Silverado) -- we can only assume why he got angry."

The Silverado's driver also exited his vehicle -- to check for damage from the accident, Ringle said. But Burnham allegedly walked up to the Silverado's driver and used his chest to push the man backward.

As soon as the alleged assault occurred, the Silverado's driver identified himself as an undercover Indiana State Police officer, Ringle said.

"He told (Burnham) to get on the ground, and Burnham refused," Ringle said. "That's when the other officer (the driver of the Ford Ranger) noticed what was going on in her rearview mirror, got out and identified herself."

The second undercover officer -- who had been driving the vehicle in front of the Silverado -- pointed her service revolver at Burnham and also ordered him onto the ground.

This time, Ringle said, Burnham complied.

"Basically, once he was ordered to get on the ground at gunpoint, he complied," Ringle said. "We were able to handcuff him and take him to the Vanderburgh County Jail."

Burnham remained in the jail Friday night on a $500 cash bond. He was accused of criminal recklessness, resisting law enforcement, and battery -- all misdemeanors.

He could not be accused of battery on an officer -- a more serious charge -- because he did not know that the other driver was an undercover officer when the push occurred, Ringle said.

Burnham is scheduled to make his initial appearance in court at 8 a.m. Monday.


Original article found here:,1626,ECP_4476_2256111,00.html


ROAD rage fills protest at reservoir - Kingston Daily Freeman, NY

OLIVE - Saturday's steady drisize="3le failed to cool the heated words of Olive residents and local politicians who appeared on a remote stretch of state Route 28A to protest the closure of Monument Road, a New York City-owned thoroughfare near the Ashokan Reservoir dam.

With Olive Town Justice Vincent Barringer, a fierce opponent of the closure, acting as master of ceremonies, speaker after speaker ascended to a makeshift stage on the bed of a pickup truck to denounce the city's Department of Environmental Protection, which closed the road, and, especially, the agency's chief of police, Ed Welch, who showed up in street clothes to listen to the grievances.

"When you came up here, we thought we finally had someone from the city we could talk to," Barringer told Welch. "But it's the same old game."

Saturday's protest attracted between 75 and 100 people. It marked the culmination of months of dissatisfaction with the road closure, which was recommended by Welch in March following a "vulnerability assessment" by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The federal agency determined the dam was vulnerable to a attack by terrorists using a vehicle and explosives.

In a telephone interview after the protest, Welch said that, in light of the assessment, which examined hundreds of terrorist attack scenarios, and the nation's elevated terror alert level, he could not, in good conscience, support reopening the road.

"I would be remiss in my duty to protect the city's water supply as well, as the residents up here, if I didn't take every necessary step to keep the reservoir safe," he said.

Welch said similar measures are in effect at all 19 reservoirs in New York City's upstate watershed.

Opponents of the closure say they doubt a car bomb could destroy the massive dam, which was built between 1906 and 1916. The reservoir's upper basin was flooded 90 years ago today, on Sept. 14, 1913, submerging the Olive hamlet of Bishop's Falls.

Critics of the closure say the detour around Monument Road is a dark and winding stretch of Route 28A that presents a danger more immediate than a terrorist attack on the dam. The protesters complain the route is treacherous and was not designed to accommodate school buses, trucks and emergency vehicles.

Protest organizer David Rosenbaum read a letter from the Olive Rescue Squad claiming the detour has added as much as seven minutes to its response time in some areas and offers a jarring ride for patients as ambulances negotiate the twisting road.

Rosenbaum also blasted city Environmental Protection Commissioner Christopher O. Ward for characterizing the closure as an inconvenience, rather than a hazard for local residents.

"(Ward) thinks this is all about drive time," Rosenbaum said. "He's right, it is about drive time. It's about patients getting to Kingston or Benedictine hospital before they die."

The Department of Environmental Protection plans to begin repaving and making other improvements to the detour this week. But Barringer said the plan is an unacceptable substitute, and he vowed to halt the work by laying down in front of the paving machines if necessary.

While the road closure was the issue of the day, the century-old resentment of some natives of the hamlets around the reservoir was apparent in protest signs reading "First Dispossessed, Now Disenfranchised" as well as in some of the speeches.

"About 100 years ago, New York City and the town of Olive entered into a shotgun wedding," Olive Councilwoman Linda Burkhardt said to loud applause. "And the town of Olive has been the abused spouse ever since."

Burkhardt was one of many local politicians who turned out for the rally. Also present was Ulster County Democratic Chairman John Parete and his sons, county Legislators Richard, D-Accord, and Robert, D-Boiceville. Also on hand were Olive Councilman Bruce LaMonda, County Legislator Robert Wilkins, R-Shokan, and Legislature candidate Peter Kraft, a Democrat from Glenford. Absent from the protest was Olive Supervisor Berndt Leifeld, a fact that fellow Democrat Barringer asked the crowd to remember on Election Day.

Despite the heated rhetoric, the crowd was peaceful. The only visible police presence, besides Welch and his driver, were two Department of Environmental Protection police officers manning a video camera a short distance away. Welch said taping a protest is standard procedure for the agency.

The police chief, who stood quietly by throughout the protest, left after about 45 minutes when Olive resident Joseph Tumasian took the microphone and angrily accused Welch of having him investigated after an Aug. 5 meeting between agency officials and the public. At that meeting, Tumasian said, he pointed out in detail flaws in the reservoir's security.

Jumping down from the truck bed, Tumasian approached Welch and confronted him directly with angry words. Welch walked away, got into an unmarked sport utility vehicle and left the area.


Original article found here:


BOUNCER beaten in 'road rage' attack - Independent Online, South Africa

Cape Town resident Dewald Kemp was left with multiple head injuries when a motorist and his passenger bludgeoned him with a baseball bat in Old Oak Road in Tyger Valley in an apparent road rage attack on Saturday night.

Kemp's eyes are swollen and rimmed with purple bruises.

He has a deep gash on his swollen upper lip and an indentation the shape of a shoe across the left side of his face.

He has had 12 stitches in the back of his head and has bruises on his back and neck.


Bellville police have said a docket on attempted murder is to be opened as soon as Kemp has recovered enough to make a statement.

Kemp, a bouncer at a Brackenfell nightclub, said he had recognised the driver.

He alleges that after 9pm at the Old Oak Road stop after the Tyger Valley turn-off, the motorist and his passenger smashed the car windows, forced him out of the vehicle - which belongs to his girlfriend Elmarie Smitt - and bludgeoned him with what appeared to be a baseball bat.

Kemp was heading towards Brackenfell from Goodwood when a silver Audi appeared behind him on the N1 before the Durbanville turn-off.

According to Kemp, the motorist had been "sitting on his tail" since the N1.


Once the motorist passed Kemp, he allegedly moved in front of him, slowed down and refused to let Kemp pass. An infuriated Kemp stopped behind them when they pulled off at the side of the road at the Durbanville turn-off.

"I screamed and told him that it was not necessary to drive so k.. and that he had no right to be on my tail."

"He was calm and said everything would be OK since I was no longer driving as badly as before."

"But when I got back onto the N1 he was again behind me."

"There was a lot of swearing going on and fingers being shown."

Kemp claims the motorist had tried to force him off the road, compelling him to take the Tyger Valley turn-off into Old Oak Road.

When he was forced to stop at an intersection two men allegedly jumped out of the vehicle.

"The passenger used the bat to smash my windows."

"They tried to pull me out of the shattered driver's window, but I was too big so I got out and grabbed the driver by the chest."

"That is when the passenger hit me over the head with the bat. I hit the ground."

Kemp claimed the men had used their feet, fists and the bat during their short assault.

Two men came to his aid after the occupants of the other car had sped off.

After being treated at the scene, Kemp went with a friend to the Bellville police station to file a complaint, but he was too weak to make a full statement and was taken to hospital. He was discharged on Sunday.

Original article found here:


ROAD rage bus driver killed boy - This is London, UK

A bus driver killed a four-year-old child after he swerved at a motorist who had cut him up and lost control of his double-decker, a court heard today.

Donte Byron was killed instantly when the number 36 Routemaster ploughed through railings on to the pavement in a busy shopping area and dragged him under the wheels. The boy's mother, who was slightly hurt, watched as the bus careered on for 18 metres with her son trapped under the back wheels.

Paul Moses, 27, is accused of causing death by

dangerous driving after showing a "cavalier attitude towards driving his bus" before the the accident, Inner London Crown Court heard.

Describing the accident on Peckham High Road on 7 August last year, Rebecca Harris for the prosecution said the bus was waiting at traffic lights when they turned to green and a white van pulled out in in front.

"The prosecution case is that this defendant became annoyed. Instead of simply moving forward, the prosecution case is that Mr Moses drove his bus to the right towards the rear of the van." She added that this "aggressive manoeuvring was intended to intimidate or remonstrate with the driver of the van".

The jury saw a 20-second video in which Moses could be seen swerving towards the van.

Ms Harris continued: "Having moved the bus to the right, the defendant needed to steer it back to the left to avoid hitting the van. In his effort to do so, the defendant over-steered and the bus veered sharply towards the left, towards the kerb and the pavement. It continued to travel left and after some seconds hit the kerb and went through the railings.

"As it did so it bumped into Donte and his mother. Donte was pulled under the bus and trapped under the back wheel. He unfortunately died at the scene." The court heard how one passenger said Moses was driving as if he was in a hurry and failed to halt at bus stops.

The jury also heard that a police examination appeared to reveal that no effort had been made to apply the brakes or change direction until a few seconds after the bus had ploughed through the railings.

Bus conductor Emma Boffin wept in court and said: "The driver came to me with his hands on his head and said, 'Oh my god. Oh my god.' He then walked off and I didn't see him again. I haven't seen the driver up until now."

Moses, from Reginald Road, Deptford, denies the charge, saying he had not deliberately driven towards the van but took his hands off the wheel after a wasp had irritated him.

The trial continues.


Original article found here:


ROAD rage is just a red herring : Victim’s friends - Delhi Newsline, India

New Delhi, September 15: Over 24 hours after the murder of a 22-year-old driver, Raju Bhandari, by a Delhi Police constable, the police version of road rage is getting weaker by the hour as the aggrieved family and transporters seek answers. In fact, the police are themselves conducting a vigilance inquiry and the report will be submitted to the commissioner.

‘‘The constable chasing the truck with a long-range weapon that has been given to him for other reasons itself raises questions. His actions cannot be justified,’’ a senior police officer said.

The eyewitness account of cleaner Diwan — he is in police custody — told to transporters at the Inland Container Depot makes it seem a clear case of police high-handedness as he has alleged that Bhandari refused to pay the constable ‘entry’ money.

Bhandari’s father, Ram Singh, was today at the AIIMS mortuary, numbed by the death of the only earning member of his family. He is paralysed from waist down and has to take care of four children — two daughters aged 16 and 14 and two sons, 6 and 10.

The cleaner reportedly said that as their trailer reached the Anandmai Marg police picket, they had a barricade blocking their way. ‘‘Seeing no policemen around, Bhandari asked Diwan to get down and move the barricade. The constable appeared suddenly and, catching him in the act, started abusing the cleaner. He asked him for entry money,’’ said Ram Prakash, who works at the ICD. The transporters alleged that the constable was drunk.

‘‘The two waited inside the trailer, and when Kumar didn’t come asking for the money, they drove away. However, the constable started following them,’’ Prakash alleged. On reaching the Kaya Maya Empty Yard, where trailers off-load containers, the constable caught up with them and parked his motorcycle in front of the truck.

The road had an incline and Bhandari had kept his feet on the clutch and brake, Diwan told the transporters. ‘‘Kumar hit the windshield a couple of times with his service rifle. There was a heated argument between the two and Bhandari told him that since he was driving within the city, he won’t entry and he had no money either,’’ it was alleged. ‘‘On seeing this, Diwan escaped and hid in the nearby bushes,’’ said Prakash.

The constable then shot the driver. The bullet went through the chest and left through the cabin roof. As Bhandari was hit, he lost control and the trailer hit the motorcycle and another truck.

‘‘Out of a salary of Rs 3500, he used to send Rs 2500 home and slept in the trailer itself. We are small people. No one knows how they will survive now,’’ said Rajinder Singh, a relative.


Original article found here:


SECOND man arrested in fatal road rage incident - Dallas Morning News (subscription), TX

FORT WORTH – A second man has been arrested in a road rage incident last month that ended with a man stabbed to death.

Brian C. Taylor, 21, was arrested Tuesday at his mother's Haltom City home on a warrant accusing him of tampering with evidence, and he could face more serious charges, police Sgt. J.D. Thornton said.

Taylor is accused of trying to conceal evidence in the slaying of Juan Gallegos, a 32-year-old construction worker from Garland found dead Aug. 1 in a Fort Worth parking lot.

Gallegos' pickup, which had fresh damage on the back, was found burning three days later in a ravine in nearby Haltom City.

Police later released a recording of a 911 call Gallegos made just seconds before the attack. A man could be heard accusing Gallegos of "brake-checking" him -- a term for tapping brakes to get a following car to slow down. Another man also can be heard on the tape.

On Aug. 27, Jeromy M. Jolley, 21, was arrested on a murder warrant after witnesses said he was the man on the 911 tape. He remains in the Tarrant County Jail with bail set at $1 million.

An auto shop worker told police that Taylor arrived on the afternoon Aug. 1 and told him a friend would bring a damaged truck, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

The worker told investigators that Jolley later arrived in a 1990s model Nissan Frontier pickup with extensive front damage. Taylor told the worker that Jolley was drunk and had a wreck, and that they fought with the driver and beat him "pretty bad," the affidavit stated.

The worker refused to fix the truck, and Jolley left in it. That truck has not been found, police said.

A few days later, Taylor told the worker that he and another man planned to get rid of some evidence by getting rid of a truck, the affidavit stated.


Original article found here:


SECOND driver gets year in jail in road rage death - Lake Stevens Herald, WA

After watching two trials and a score of hearings, and after shedding buckets of tears, the legal process is over for Katie Pemberton of Lake Stevens, the mother of a 16-year-old high school junior who was killed in a prom night traffic collision on April 27, 2002.

"I have to go home and say, for this part, justice was served," said Pemberton after the second man involved in the road-rage incident that tragic night was sentenced to a year in jail.

But on a personal level there will never be justice, she said.

Pemberton has routinely been in court when the two men who were involved in the collision that took her daughter's life were in court. The collision followed a school prom in Edmonds.

The second defendant, Lukasz Pawel Kutek, 22, of Shoreline, was given the one-year jail term Tuesday after pleading guilty to two driving charges.

"It is a case where Mr. Kutek apparently had an emotional response to another driver," said Snohomish County Superior Court Judge Larry McKeeman before he pronounced his sentence.

Kutek pleaded guilty in July to reckless driving, a gross misdemeanor, and disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor, and agreed to serve a year in jail. He will be allowed to keep his job working for a property management company because he will attend the county's work release program beginning Sept. 29

The plea followed a trial for vehicular homicide in which the jury could not reach a unanimous decision. Jurors were deadlocked 11-1 to convict him of a felony that would have sent Kutek to a state prison for 1 1/2years or more.

In April, the second man involved in the incident, Allison Arnold, 34, of Bellevue, was convicted of vehicular homicide. He was sentenced to nearly 3 1/2years in prison because of his bad past driving record.

It was Arnold's Ford Explorer that crossed the centerline of Highway 104 near Highway 99 and slammed into a white Ford Mustang in which Georgia Pemberton had been a passenger. According to testimony at trial, Arnold was attempting to pass Kutek after the two men played a deadly game of passing and blocking each other's vehicles.

Deputy prosecutor Michael Downes said he agreed to the gross misdemeanor partly because jurors told him after Kutek's trial that they thought Kutek should have been charged with a less serious crime.

"I took that into account" in plea negotiations with Shoreline defense attorney Mark Vanderveen, Downes told the judge.

Vanderveen emphasized that Kutek had no previous criminal or driving convictions and "is not predisposed to participate in road rage."

"It was nine or 10 seconds of poor decision-making," Vanderveen said. "It's been hard on him, too. I'm convinced this had had a lasting impact on this young man."

Kutek had little to say, except to apologize.

"This was a big tragedy. If I had known what the other driver would do, I wouldn't have done it," Kutek told the judge. "All I can say is I'm sorry."


Original article found here:


1-YEAR jail term for role in road-rage crash that killed ...  - Seattle Post Intelligencer, WA


EVERETT -- A 22-year-old Shoreline man was sentenced yesterday in Snohomish County Superior Court for his role in a road-rage accident that left a 16-year-old high-school cheerleader dead.

Lukasz Kutek will spend a year in jail on a misdemeanor charge of reckless driving. He pleaded guilty to the charge after a jury couldn't reach a verdict in his first trial, on more serious vehicular homicide charges.

Kutek also will be on probation for two years.

The accident occurred in April 2002, when Kutek cut ahead of Allison Arnold Jr. on State Route 104 in Edmonds.

Arnold, from Bellevue, sped through oncoming lanes and slammed into the car driven by the high-school cheerleader, Georgia Pemberton. He was convicted of vehicular homicide and sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison.

Original article found here:


YOUNG urban women high on road rage - NZ City, New Zealand

The sight of a police car is likely to set a male driver's blood rising, tailgating makes everyone mad, but something blocking her way is what is almost guaranteed to set a woman fuming.

Massey University lecturer Mark Sullman has been studying road rage in a desire to find out what sets people off.

After surveying 861 drivers, he is surprised to find that women behind the wheel often reported higher levels of anger than male drivers.

He says the angriest drivers tend to be young women from urban centres with few years' experience behind the wheel, but who have done a lot of mileage and tend to drive fast.

Mr Sullman says the good news is that anger lessens the older a driver gets.


Original article found here:


ROAD rage case leads to 2 being cited - Lake Country Reporter, WI


City of Pewaukee - A road rage incident Sept. 10 led to two people being cited.

According to the report, Christopher Chesnic, 20, of Menomonee Falls was southbound on Highway 164 after 4:30 p.m. when he drove into a construction area and had to merge into another lane.

Chesnic told police a Ford Mustang in the adjacent lane sped up and would not let him merge, the report said.

He was able to merge into the lane. The driver of the Mustang, Ivars Roberts, 47, of the town of
Mukwonago, allegedly began to operate his car in an "aggressive and erratic" manner, the report said.

Roberts allegedly yelled at Chesnic to pull over, and Chesnic allegedly threw water at the side of the Mustang, the report said.

The road rage continued on the I-94 on-ramp and then on northbound Highway J. Chesnic drove to the Police Department, which is located off Highway J, to report the incident.

Both men are being cited for disorderly conduct.

In other police reports:

One hurt, cited in crash
One person was injured in an accident Sept. 12 on
Capitol Drive.

Kenneth Mayer, 44, of Milwaukee was driving west on Capitol at about 8 a.m., and just as he passed Highway SR, his car was rear-ended by a car driven by John Lippold, 47, of N25 W26251 Foxcroft Drive, city of Pewaukee.

Lippold was cited for failure to have a vehicle under control. He was injured but did not receive medical transport to a hospital.

Deer hit by car
A deer was struck by a car driven by Kathleen Stevens, 59, of the town of
Waukesha at about 5:20 p.m. Sept. 12 on Highway J near River Lane

No injuries or citations were listed.

Original article found here:

Back to Home
Road Rage News |
|   2  |   3  |   4  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  | 9 | 10 

1997    1998    1999    2000    2001    2002    2003    2004    2005